Picnics & Barbecues
Historical HERITAGE PARK PICNIC/BBQ LUNCH Heritage Park Drive, Castle Hill
WHERE: Heritage Park, entrance in Heritage Park Drive, off Old Castle Hill Road, Castle Hill
WHEN: TBA (Postponed due to wet weather)
Heritage Park is 20 hectares of landscaped hills and Blue Gum forest. It is the birthplace of Castle Hill. It was the 3rd Government Farm dating back to 1801. Convicts (mainly Irish) cleared 700 acres. In 1803 a 2-storey stone barracks was built and in 1804 the Castle Hill Rebellion commenced, ending in the battle of Vinegar Hill. Between 1811 and 1826 the stone barracks was converted to a "Lunatic Asylum", this was converted to a church in 1826 and the nearby superintendent's cottage used as a school, the first in the district. 1866 sees the stone from the Barracks used for the Parsonage at Castle Hill which is still located at Corner Old Northern Road and Parsonage Road. 1870-1960 the land was mainly used for orchards and small farm holdings. In 2001 Baulkham Hills Council received the title to 20 hectares and in 2004 the park was officially opened.
There is an outdoor gathering every few months, where members bring food for a picnic or barbecue and enjoy a relaxing afternoon together. Various venues are chosen and suggestions for sites are welcome.